By Desiree Williams
Many television shows are returning in the New Year, but here’s a list of some of my favorites.
- Nashville (ABC): Great music. Love triangles. Drama. Nashville follows a group of wildly talented singers and songwriters as they try to navigate through stardom in Music City. Rayna James (Connie Britton) is the reigning queen of country music, but young, new artists are pushing her out of the spotlight. Rayna has to figure out how to stay on top of her game, while maintaining her family unit.
Returning March 16
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS): Big Bang centers on physicists, and roommates, Leonard (Johnny Galecki) and Sheldon (Jim Parsons), who work at the California Institute of Technology. They’re incredibly intelligent, but street smarts are not their forte, especially around women. They spend a lot of time with a specific friend group of fellow physicists and follow a rather strict daily schedule, but everything goes a little wonky when an attractive waitress (Kaley Cuoco) moves into the apartment next door.
Returning Jan. 7
- Grimm (NBC): Nick Burkhardt (David Giuntoli) is a homicide detective working in Portland when he learns of a family secret. He is descended from a line of “Grimms.” Grimms are charged with protecting humans from supernatural creatures called “wesen.” To the average citizen, wesen look normal, but Burkhardt can see their true identities. With help from a few friends, Burkhardt sets out on his newfound journey to protect those he loves most from the wesen.
Returning Jan. 22
- The Vampire Diaries (The CW): Who doesn’t love some bloodthirsty vampires? The Vampire Diaries focuses on the Salvatore brothers when they return to their true home, Mystic Falls, after running from place to place for a century. Damon (Ian Somerhalder) is the typical vampire: charming, aggressive and hungry. On the other hand, Stefan (Paul Wesley) wants to be better, to lead a normal life. Damon stays in their mansion while Stefan goes through high school one more time. It’s all fun and games until Stefan falls in love and other supernatural creatures threaten Mystic Falls.
Returning Jan. 29
- Gotham (FOX): Gotham follows James Gordon’s rise to fame in Gotham City. Gordon (Ben McKenzie) is a young detective trying to make his way when he joins a high profile case concerning the murder of Martha and Thomas Wayne. During the investigation, he meets young Bruce Wayne (David Mazouz) and they form a friendship. The series will show Batman’s story as well as the various villain’s origin stories.
Returning Feb. 29
Follow this link to view a full list of television shows and return dates: http://tvline.com/2015/11/23/tv-calendar-2016-january-return-dates/